The economic significance of energy resources will inevitably result in conflict as it exacerbates political tension to the point of conflict. Through examination of water and oil, the two most significant energy resources, and the role they play in causing conflicts in Yemen and Venezuela respectively, this essay shall prove that conflict over energy resources … Read more
Migration is a phenomenon that is fairly well known, but its implications are rarely well understood. The total migrant population has increased from 2.8% in 2000 to 3.4% in 2017, with the number of migrants worldwide increasing from 173 million to 258 million (“International Migration Report”1-5). The effects of the outflow of people on their … Read more
Skeptics claim that the Gilgamesh flood was used to create the Genesis flood story. In both The Epic of Gilgamesh and Genesis flood stories, a flood happens. God (Genesis) and gods (Gilgamesh) were both angered in some way which makes them want to annihilate humanity. The flood stories in the Epic of Gilgamesh and Genesis … Read more
Africa has grown to be a complex continent with a long, enticing history. Much of this history defines how Africa functions today. By looking at the past economic, political, social, spiritual and cultural factors, we can determine why the continent operates the way it does currently. Africa’s economy has always consisted of trade and crafting … Read more
THE DEMOGRAPHIC TRANSITION MODEL OF MADAGASCAR Madagascar, a former French colony, has been attacked by military coups, political violence, and corruption for decades. It is an economy with many untapped natural resources, no capital markets, a weak judicial system, poorly enforced contracts, and rampant government corruption. Agriculture, including fishing and forestry, is a mainstay of … Read more
Ask anyone about British history, and it’s fairly likely that they will associate the nation with its former Empire. A subject hotly debated in the media, Britain’s colonial past is extensive, and the challenge now facing it is deciding what stance to take on its morally questionable past. The more important, and often least considered … Read more
Rishikesh won the title of capital rafting in India. It is a preferred destination for all adventure lovers and rafting along the mighty Ganges every adventure enthusiast’s dream. You must not know how to swim, and no previous rafting experience is necessary. Only a few rivers in the world have the mystique of the Ganges, … Read more
The study area is limited to the north part of Morocco covered by NOAA-AVHRR images (Figure 1) and covers all agricultural areas of 46 provinces of the country. It includes the main agro-ecological zones of Morocco except Saharan zone where agricultural activities concerns small plots in oases. The climate of the studied area is characterized … Read more
The solar system was created with a cloud of dust and gas, which is also known as the Solar Nebula. The Solar Nebula was created approximately 4.6 billion years ago (Redd, 2016) and after it was created, the gravity collapsed on itself as it began to spin and created the sun in the center of … Read more
Food insecurity is affecting an incredible amount of people living in the Central African Republic and all over the world. As a matter of fact, the US department of agriculture defines food insecurity as a state in which “consistent access to adequate food is limited by lack of money and other resources at times during … Read more
Introduction The town of San Jiang, which literally means three rivers, is a part of the Xinhui District. San Jiang is a Dong Autonomous County that lies North of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region in Southern China. There is one residential community and twelve villages located within San Jiang, with a total population of about … Read more
This study makes use of policy making and implementation where the case study was in the area of amnesty programme in Nigeria. The data collected and analysed in the process of carrying out the study are presented in the chapter. The presentation and discussions are based on the hypothesis formulated The bio-data of the respondents … Read more
1. Introduction This report was prepared as a result of my field work activities carried out from1st August -15th November 2015 in Kathile Sub-county, Kaabong District with a focus on Life with neighbours without guns among the Dodoth Cluster in the Post-disarmament period. The study looked into 1).Socio-cultural activities of the community during the pre, … Read more
In section 2 we explored the current literature relating to the economic growth and development of Nigeria and Ghana, consolidating the various arguments to see whether any key messages were apparent. In section 3 we then examined the two countries in more detail, presenting a timeline of relevant economic, social and political happenings since there … Read more
With the largest population of a fifth of humankind, the fastest growing economy, the largest army, a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council, a nuclear arsenal and numerous space programs, there is no doubt that China is rising. The country has played a crucial role in the international system despite there being a … Read more
COUNTRY PROFILE Nigeria is located in the south east of West Africa, sharing borders with Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Niger. Nigeria is 923,768sq km which is four times the size of Britain (nationsonline.org 2018). The country has a population of 192million people, it is the seventh largest country in terms of population giving it the … Read more
Describe the main three types of the Earth’s tectonic plate boundaries with examples of where they occur and explain the main cause of plate movement There have been many theories about plate movement, one of the first theories was by geophysicist Alfred Wegener. Wegener proposed the idea that the continents used to fit together like … Read more
Plate tectonics as a theory suggests states that the Lithosphere is split up into a series of rigid plates. At current, seven major plates have been identified, as well as a number of smaller plates. The boundaries were found to coincide with features upon the Earth’s surface, these include, orogenic belts, mid-ocean ridges, transform faults … Read more
Ice volcanoes which are commonly known as cryovolcanoes are the types of volcanoes that occur in the solar system’s frozen regions. A regular volcano is made up of molten rocks or lava, whereas the ice volcano erupts volatiles compounds such as water, ammonia, methane, nitrogen that is accompanied by gas driven fragments, this process is … Read more
Scientists have conducted laboratory experiments, where they were placed in a tube Ethan liquid cooled to the point of 179 ° C (as is the temperature of the moon) and added his substance benzene. As the benzene dissolves very quickly in liquid ethane, so scientists concluded that lakes and Sailor Moon is rich in hydrocarbons. … Read more
In line to fathom the true causal relationship of exports on economic growth in Nigeria and Ghana, I undertake a sequence of different ELG and GLE tests for each country. This will be the core memory empiric contribution of the export, which is to stipulate a more in-profoundness analysis of the relationship between exports and … Read more
Meltwater channels in a glacial environment are considered an erosional feature that’s part of the landscape geomorphology. They are what has been carved out and left behind in the landscape, by the force and strength of the water flow in a drainage pathway (Shaw & Sharpe, 1987). The effect of pressurised water on the proglacial … Read more
I. BACKGROUND Southeast Asia location is very strategic which located between the Indian and the Pacific Ocean. As a consequence, Southeast Asia nations generally have a very distinctive maritime nature. On the other hand, Southeast Asia countries also have a long history of colonialism. Therefore, when its gain or was given independence, dispute of territory … Read more
In 2014, Flint, Michigan switched its water supply from Lake Huron to the Flint River in order to save the city $200 million over 25 years (NPR, CNN). The tradeoff for saving money in this way was switching the city’s water source to a polluted river, being 70 times harder and 19 times more iron … Read more
Since 2002, East Timor is a recognized southeastern Asian country, but it previously fought for many decades to get its independence. Until 1974, East Timor was a colony of Portugal but in 1975, after of a military coup, Portugal allowed its colonies to seek independence. Three political parties formed in East Timor and after a … Read more
How to write a geography essay
Geography being a science that encompasses the study of earths physical characteristics, that is rivers, mountains and their formations as well as human life such as ecology and adjustments and influences we have upon our natural surroundings. Seeing that geography is a wide ranged discipline makes it a tricky essay to embark on hence it requires vigilance when writing it. Having the two main divisions: Human Geography and Physical Geography to choose from, which in turn have many subdivisions under them you need to make an informed choice on your topic.
The following sections offer fundamental guidelines on how to write a geography essay.
Due to a range of topics to choose from, you first of all have to be well informed on the topic of choice. If you chose to venture into ‘human geography’ which is already a broad sub division on its own, you will want to specify your scope of study to maybe linguistics geography or language geography which are subdivisions of human geography. Be sure to make a good judgement on your choice of topic to ensure at the end you come up with an interesting essay. Having prior knowledge on the choice of your topic is also an added advantage as it will ease your work and mind while researching as you will be adding knowledge to what you are already familiar with just more detailed.
Once you acknowledge your scope of study, commence on your research making sure you don’t stray into other subdivisions. Make use of the available course books at your disposal, carry out online researches from known geography scholars and published journals. Geography being a wide discipline is advantageous as research materials from other humanities can be used to cement you research materials.
- In your research, ensure the materials provided are detailed and factual. This will enhance the credibility of your research as well as providing enough materials to refer to throughout your study and it will be a clear outline of your own personal understanding and knowledge on the scope of your study. Carry out critical analysis on the information from the research before putting it down into writing as this research will be the ultimate foundation of your essay.
- When compiling the essay from your research materials, it is advisable to use bullet points and short paragraphs when expounding on your points to make it easy to read as well as putting out your ideas clearly. Make sure every paragraph introduced has an independent idea but that overall it backs up your main scope of the study by providing back up information and strengthening your argument or angle of your essay. Use clear language as well as geographical terms when explaining.
- Time management is an essential quality needed as you embark on research to gather necessary materials and information. Due to its diversity, geography research needs to be given ample time to ensure you come up with the necessary materials, credible sources and supporting materials. Bear in mind that you may need to indulge in other humanities disciplines to get materials from. Make sure you have a clear outline of the time allocated to deploying each task.
- Have a clear outline of what your study is meant to achieve at the end. This outline will be an ultimate guide to you as you do the research. It will emphasis the essential parts and areas you need to focus your research on. It will also act as cement to your time management program as you will already have a clear understanding of what you want. It will also allow you to stay in focus so as not to stray while researching.
- Being able to know how to write a geography essay well is an important skill if you want to achieve high grades. It’s not all just about writing the essay though, you need to make sure you dot the i’s and cross the t’s which inevitably means re-reading your work. If you are looking for a specific type of writing strategy then take a look at our writing strategy guide.
- After writing your final copy of the essay make sure you go through your work taking caution to point out any mistakes you make have made. You may need to adjust the flow of your research if you haven’t outlined your ideas systematically. Grammatical errors and spelling mistakes will need to be amended also.
Geography being wholly characterised factually; be sure to devise ways to make the essay interesting and appealing to the reader while at the same time execute the thesis of your study.
By bearing in mind the guidelines outlined above guide on how to write a geography essay, you are on your way to achieving the grades you deserve.