“DESIGN AND FARICATION OF QUAD BYKE
Shah Axay Hitendrabhai 130680102043
Shahani Anand Ajit 130680102044
Patel Dixitkumar Vijaybhai 140683102002
Utkarsh Sharma 140683102007
TEAM ID: - 62371
GUIDED BY:- Mr. Chintal Kirtikumar Patel
MERCHANT INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (mehsana)
In partial fulfillment for the award of the degree
BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING
MERCHANT INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (mehsana)
Academic year 2016-2017
Sr No. Topic Page No.
Chapter- 1 Introduction
1.1 Problem summary
1.2 Aim and Objective of the project
1.3 Problem specification
1.4 Brief Literature review And Prior Art Search (Pas)
1.5 Plan of work(both semester)
1.6 Materials and Tools
Chapte- 2 Design : Analysis
2.1 AEIOU Canvas
2.2 Empathy Canvas
2.3 Ideation Canvas
2.4 Product Development Canvas
Chapter- 3 Working Process
3.1 Working Process
Chapter – 4 Summary of results
Periodic Progress Report
Patent Search & Analysis Report (PSAR)
Design Engineering canvases
The author extends his sincere thanks to for his kind suggestions to Asst. Prof Mr. Chintal Patel work at and for guiding during the course of this work.
The author puts on record and submits with regards the continuous guidance and inspiration that was received throughout the work from. As an external guide for preparing this thesis.
The author is thankful to Mr. Deepu Dinesan Head of Automobile Engineering Department.
My special thanks to my family members, for their unique support in successful completion of project. Finally I would like to thank each and every person who has directly or circuitously helped me in this project.
Name of the student sign
Shah Axay Hitendrabhai
Shahani Anand Ajit
Patel Dixitkumar Vijaybhai
CERITIFICATE FROM COLLAGE
MERCHANT INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
This is to certify that work embodied in this entitled “Design And Fabrication of Quad Byke” was carried out by at Merchant Institute of Technology at Piludara, MEHSANA. For 7th Semester automobile of B.E. degree to be awarded by Gujarat Technological University. This work has been carried out under my supervision and is to my satisfaction.
Place :- PILUDARA
Mr. CHINTAL PATEL Mr. DEEPU DINESAN
Ass. Professor Head of Department
Automobile Department Automobile Department
AT. Piludara AT. Piludara
Head of Department
CERTIFICATE FROM GTU
PLAGIARISM SEARCH CERTIFICATE
• QUAD BIKE:- A quad bike is also known as all-terrain vehicle(ATV), and it may be in three wheeler, four wheeler or quadracycle . American National Standard Institute (ANSI) define this vehicle as it travels on low pressure tires, with a seat that straddle by the driver, along with handle bar for steering control. It is a light weight motor cycle equipped with rugged tires and suspension; an off-road mototrcycle designed for riding cross country or over unpaved ground.
• The Royal Enfield has started built and sold the powered quadracycle in 1883.after that they have design it like ATV- style quad bike bt design as horseless carriage for road use. At mid-1960s & early 1970s Amphicat named quad bike produced by Mobility Unlimited Inc. & Terra Tiger named quad bike produced by Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company which are used as military ATVs .
• THREE WHEEL QUADE BIKE(1967-1987)
• First three wheeled quad bike was design in 1967 by the John Plessinger at Crankbrook Academy of Arts near Detroit and then the patent and all rights are sold to the Sperry rand and then they manufacture it commercially. Numbers of small manufacturing companies has started to build 3-wheeler ATV . Then the entry of Honda in 1969, they makes difficult to compete the other companies to it.
• Then the Honda built some most popular models like ATC90(1969), ATC250R(1981), ATC200E(1982), ATC300X(1985).And the American manufacturer Tiger also built various models size ranging from 125cc to 500cc . All this bikes has built in Two-Stroke engines.
• Production of the three-wheel ATV is ceased in 1987 due to safety concern. It have low stability compared to four wheel ATV.
• FOUR WHEEL QUAD BIKE (1985-TODAY)
• Suzuki was the leader to produce four wheeled ATV and the first model of it sold in 1982 named QUAD RUNNER LT125. They also makes mini ATV with 50cc and 80cc engine. They have introduced many features like sophisticated ling travelled suspension and liquid cooled 2-stroke engine with 5-speed & 6-speed transmission system.
• After that Honda, Kawasaki & Yamaha Motor Company had stared to build different types of high performance four wheel ATV.
• These models are still used in sport & utility market. Sport ATV models are small, lightweight , 2-wheel drive and speed up to 130 km/h. Utility ATV models are bigger four wheel drive and speed up to 110 km/h. A most Popular model is Yamaha’s Rapture 700cc.
1.1 PROBLEM SUMMARY
• When driving in the forest area or in mud we lost the control and some time it is not possible to drive the road vehicle at here so solving this problem they have built all-terrain vehicle like quad bike, quadracycle .
• In quad bike when you encounter small mud hole on the trail, you need to do Nothing just ride right through the middle of it. It’s perfectly normal to want to aim around the mud, but if you can resist that urge and instead ride through it, and the guy behind you does the same, we’re less likely to end up with a big mud hole to replace the little one you started with. Also, keep in mind that in many areas it’s illegal to leave a trail to avoid a little liquid dirt.
1.2 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
• It is designed to handle a wider variety of terrain than most other vehicles available in the market. This can use for transportation in forest areas also in some country it is legal on the street.
• ATV helps in invasive species & France\'s Cap Prudhomme in Antarctica instead of trucks.
• They are used in a variety of industries for their maneuverability and off-roading ability. These include:
• border patrol
• emergency medical services
• land management
• law enforcement
• mineral exploration
• oil exploration
• pipeline transport
• search and rescue
• small-scale forestry
• wild land fire control
1.3 PROBLEM SPECIFICATIONS
• There are over 15 million ATV fans in the United States, as that number will possibly grow in the upcoming years. ATVs are often condemned as being harmful to the environment, but that does not have to be the case. In fact, if every rider takes a few minor steps, ATVs can have a negligible impact on the environment. It is everybody\'s restraint to respect the environment, so that future generations can enjoy it, and so that public land is not destroyed for everybody by a handful of inconsiderate riders.
• Here are some basic tips. First, there are areas and trails that are specifically designated for all-terrain vehicles. You can minimize the impact on the surrounding environment if you stick to these designated areas. Incidentally, the designated areas are also safe for trainees, beginners, and children. Also, try to stick in the middle of the trail you\'re riding, this will decrease the possibility of widening the trail and further encroaching on the surrounding land. When you cross a river, do so at designated crossings. Don\'t leave the trail to cross the stream at different points. If the trail you\'d like to ride is muddy, save that trail for another day when the road is dry. Riding on a muddy trail will create deep marks and scars in the trail that will be difficult to close again. These ruts will only grow with subsequent riders, so it is best not to contribute to the problem.
1.4 BRIEF LITERATURE REVIEW AND PRIOR ART SEARCH (PAS)
• The term ATV or all-terrain vehicle has been limited to straddle-seat, wheeled vehicles that are constructed to accommodate just one rider/driver. The Consumer Product Safety Commission uses the one-rider limitation to define “ATV” due to the belief that straddle-seat, wheeled vehicles could not safely accommodate more than one rider.
• As in improvement in elongated wheelbase, improved ATV center of gravity,passenger seat, passenger seat positioning, driver seat, driver seat positioning, backrest, elongated and/or stepped footrests, side grab handles, low passenger positioning, tapering driver and passenger seat portions, side guards, open storage space on top of the rear rack, facilitation of active positioning for the driver and/or passenger.
• The inventors of the present invention determined that if multiple riders are going to ride ATVs that are designed for one rider despite all contraindications and/or other warnings, then ATVs should be constructed to safely accommodate multiple riders. Accordingly, through the present invention, the inventors resolved safety concerns of the industry regarding multi-person ATVs.
• Accordingly, one aspect of embodiments of the invention provides an ATV that can safely accommodate two riders (a driver and a passenger). For example, the wheelbase of the ATV can be extended (e.g., by about 8″ to 12″ or more) compared to conventional ATVs such that the driver is more centered between the front and rear wheels, which creates additional space to accommodate an additional rider behind the driver. An advantage to this structure is that the driver\'s riding position is more active and comfortable, and the passenger can be accommodated in a safe manner.A longitudinal length of the seat is preferably between 30 and 60 inches.
• Another aspect of embodiments of the invention provides an ATV on which a single rider, i.e., the driver, can be placed in a position that is more centered between the front and rear pairs of wheels, thereby improving driver comfort and/or reducing the chances for roll-over of the ATV.
• The main seat portion includes a main supporting range. The main supporting range is preferably positioned rearwardly of the front axis by 40-80% of the wheelbase and more preferably by 55-65% of the wheelbase.
• The secondary seat portion may include a secondary supporting range that is elevated relative to the main supporting range. The secondary supporting range may be elevated relative to the main supporting range by a distance that is preferably between 1 and 8 inches, and is more preferably between 1.5 and 2.5 inches.
• The grab handles may include metal tubes covered with a non-slip cover. The front and rear portions of each footrest may be generally horizontal. A longitudinal length of each footrest is preferably at least 17 inches, and is more preferably at least 20 inches.
• A forward end of the main seat portion may be disposed in front of a forward end of the power unit. Alternatively, a forward end of the main seat portion may be disposed behind a forward end of the power unit.
• A center of gravity of the power unit may be longitudinally disposed between forward and rearward ends of the main seat portion. A ratio of a horizontal distance between the center of gravity of the power unit and the rear axis to the wheelbase is preferably between 0.25 and 0.75, and is more preferably between 0.4 and 0.6.
• The ATV may also include at least one back rest support that extends between the back rest and the ATV. The back-supporting front surface is preferably connected to the ATV so as to move in a longitudinal direction under a longitudinal load to some extent (e.g., 1 to 4 inches) during normal operation of the ATV. The at least one back rest support may include two laterally-spaced back rest supports that extend between laterally-spaced portions of the back rest and the ATV.
• Another aspect of embodiments of the present invention provides an ATV that includes at least three wheels, at least one of which is a front wheel and at least one of which is a rear wheel, the front and rear wheels having front and rear axles. The ATV also includes a power unit for driving at least one of the wheels, a straddle-type seat including a main seat portion for a driver and a secondary seat portion, rearward of the main portion, for a passenger, and a steering member for steering at least one of the wheels. The straddle-type seat is constructed and arranged such that, in use, a combined center of gravity of the ATV, with the driver sitting in a standard riding position on the main seat portion and the passenger sitting in standard riding position on the secondary seat portion, is disposed rearwardly of the front axis by a distance that is preferably at least 30 inches, is more preferably at least 32 inches, is even more preferably at least 33 inches, and is even more preferably between 34 and 45 inches.
...(download the rest of the essay above)