Leadership versus Management
1. Define Management.
The organization and coordination which deals with activities of a business in order to achieve defined objectives.
It is often considered as an act of engaging with an organization’s human talent and its resources to accomplish desired goals and objectives.
Management comprises planning, organizing, staffing, leading/directing, and controlling an organization (a group of one or more people or entities) or effort for the purpose of accomplishing a goal.
2. Define Leadership.
Leadership is the ability of a company's management to make sound decisions and inspire others to perform well.
An effective leader is a person who creates an inspiring vision for the future, motivates and inspire people to engage through that vision, manages delivery of vision and builds a team with more effective vision of achieving goals.
3. Differences between Leadership and Management?
Leadership and management are quite synonymous to each other. But there are few differences between leadership and management. They are:
• Leaders are people who do the right thing; managers are people who do things right. Here, a leader tries to focus on the vision and development of the resource / person by allowing the person to do his best interest. Where as managers try to give work to get that thing done effectively with out person’s interest. Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.
• Leaders set the direction, they must also use management skills to guide their people to the right destination, in a smooth and efficient way. So a good leader is a good manager but a good manager may not be a good leader.
• Management focuses on the systems and structure of the company, whereas a leader/ leadership focuses on people development.
• A manager accepts the status quo, whereas a leader has the ability to challenge it. He tries to do things differently and have the courage to think outside the box.
• Leaders have people follow them and admire them, whereas managers have people who work for them and subordinate them.
• Management is running processes, systems, functions and people. The more efficient and organized a manger is, the better he/she is at managing. Leadership is to inspire people. Leader with a more open mind will have more vision and self- and the higher the integrity, the better he/she will be leading.
4. Great leaders:
There have been many leaders in the world. I wish to write about few of my inspirational leaders.
• JRD Tata (1904-1993): Jahangir Ratanji Dadabhoy Tata (JRD Tata), is my most favorite leader ever. He is a French-born Indian aviator and is considered as Business Face of India for many decades. He obtained the first pilot license in India and founded the first commercial airlines in India (Tata Airlines) which is then Air India and recently changed to Indian National Airline. He took over as chairman for Tata groups and directed industries in Steels, Engineering, Power, Chemicals and Hospitality. He is famous for his ethical values along with the success in the business, who refused to get bribed by many politicians and business man. Under his trustee India’s first Cancer hospital was established (Tata memorial center for cancer). “In 1953, the Indian Government appointed JRD Tata as Chairman of Air India and a director on the Board of Indian Airlines - a position he retained for 25 years. For his crowning achievements in aviation, he was bestowed with the title of Honorary Air Commodore of India”. (Srivatsan 2012)
• PV Narasimha Rao (1921-2004): India Former prime minister late PV Narasimha Rao, is one of the greatest leader ever India has got. He is lawyer and politician who has liberalized Indian economy to boost Indian financial growth rate to +5%. This was a great empowerment in Indian history. He gave the Indian Nuclear program a great push and was also a patriotic statesman who has believed that the nation is much bigger than the political system. Such a big leader who was born to a farmer family from a small village from my hometown. He was a scholar who was proficient in 17 languages.
• Dhirubhai Ambani (1932-2002): He was one of the greatest business tycoon. He has been successful in manufacturing world-class products and always believed in “Think big, think fast and think ahead”. He is the man who worked in benefits of the Indian financial growth. “He has the zeal to achieve something big, rather than just earning money and obsession to build.” (A.Agarwal 2014). He started trade in polyester and spices. Next moves into manufacturing business. The competition he faces is with Bombay Dyeing, which is an old, family run, virtual monopoly in this field (McDonald).
• Jayalalithaa (Born 1948): Jayalalitha Jayaram is an Indian politician who is now Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu in India. She has been chief minister for 16 years, who is believed to be the other of the state Tamil Nadu. She has been leading the state unanimously since many years, having major political parties’ competition in the state. Popularly refereed to as Puratchi Thalaivi by her followers. She isn’t married to anyone till now, who has dedicated her life and soul to development of people in Tamil Nadu. She was also a great actress in her young age. She runs many trusts and educational institutions by which every body is assured to get education with affordable cost.
• Chanda Kochhar (Born 1961): She is the Managing Director and CEO of ICICI Bank, India’s largest private sector bank. She is prominently known for her role in shaping retail banking in India. She has been leading Indian women for many times in the world. Kochhar has implemented numerous innovative developments and changes to the Indian retail banking industry. Kochhar is also widely acknowledged for her leadership, has been named a ‘Woman of Power’ by the Asian Business Leadership Forum and received the Padma Bhushan Award, the third highest civilian honor by the Government of India, for her services to the banking sector. (Rediff Business, 2013).
5. Go to Youtube.com. Find a video (minimum of 5 minutes) that you think explains what it means to be a leader.
a. Summarize the video. (Include the link.)
b. Must be at least 3 paragraphs.
Video link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7JNXjV2jHw.
It is misbelieved by many people that leaders are said to be born as leaders by birth or they are modeled. But leaders also fall many times and they grow from their experiences and become stronger like Abraham Lincoln who was the 16th president of America, Thomas Alva Edison, Nelson Mandela etc.
Leaders are those who have forged new paths for others to follow. Challenges aren’t road blocks for leaders, the yare the opportunities to them. They do not try to make excuses of challenges.
Leaders are not just the old and experienced, many innovative youngsters are also leaders just like Mark Zuckerberg, Larry page and Sergey Brin etc. A leader’s performance is measured by the people who follow them and how they inspire them.
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, so more and become more, you are a leader.” (John Adams, 6th US president).
6. In your own words, summarize what you learned about leadership.
a. Must be at least 3 paragraphs.
In my opinion a leader who must be visionary, learner, innovator, educator, motivator, facilitator, communicator and advisor, and close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them.
A leader is the one who knows the way, goes the way and shows the way. Every one can be a leader. It all depends on what he/she thinks which is good/ bad. The path they choose defines the better leadership. For example, Osama Bin Laden was a great leader to the terrorists, but he was harmful to the world.
Leadership should be defined with ethics, vision and goodness to the followers and the influencing parties.
Everyone is a leader in their own way. A leadership can be in any field or profession like it may be sports, politics, business, music, military or anything.
A.Agarwal, S. (2014). "The leadership style and its central characteristic of the Indian leading industrialist.".
Business, R. (2013). "Chanda Kochhar on her success story.".
McDonald, H. "The ployester Prince- The rise of Dhirubhai Ambani.".
Srivatsan (2012). "JRD Tata- One of India's best leaders."
...(download the rest of the essay above)