Purpose of Human Resources Management
• Human Resources Management is responsibilities for managing the people within an organization.
• Human resources management is the development and implementation of system in an organization designed to attract, develop and retain a high-performing workforces.
• Human resources management is to generate and retain the right quality and right quantity to contend the workforce in order to achieve the organizational goal.
• Essentially, the purpose of human resources management is to maximize the productivity of an organization and optimize the effectiveness of its employees.
Function of Human Resources Management
• Staffing is the process of obtaining and maintaining the capable and competent employees in various positions at all level.
• Staffing include planning, job analysis, recruitment, selection, hiring, induction.
• Human resources planning include job design which planning the future personnel needs and deciding the job duties and responsibilities.
• Job analysis includes job description which described the performance standard, skill required and responsibilities towards the job whereas job specification describe the requirement of the person for a specific job such as experience, education qualification, skill and other.
• Reward system is design to encourage employee cooperation and commitment.
• Practice includes job evaluation, performance appraisal and benefits.
• Compensation is to inspire the employees to give their best to the organization through intrinsic and extrinsic rewards.
• Compensation includes wages and salaries, incentive, bonus to employees.
iii. Employee development
• Employee development is the process of training to improve and change the skill, ability and knowledge of the employees.
• It includes employee training, employee development and career development.
• Training helps the employee in acquiring better skill and performance for their job.
• Employee development such as soft-skill training, communication training, technology training and other.
iv. Employee maintenance
• Employee maintenance is the process to retain and motivate the productive employees in the organization.
• Human resources management have to ensure the safety, health and welfare policy for the employee.
• Such as medical, education, retirement, loan and canteen facilities and other
• It is aim to increase the satisfaction levels of the employees.
v. Employee relations
• It aims to deal with employees in the organizational context as a social group which contribute to the organization.
• It includes increase employee productivity, satisfaction of employee and builds the skill of employees.
• It helps to maintain the good relationship between employer and employees.
(a) Explain the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches to recruitment and selection.
• Recruitment is the process of finding and attracts a pool of the capable candidate to join the organization.
• It deters the unsuitable candidate from applying the job.
• It also includes internal and external sources for recruitment.
Strengths of recruitment
• Internal recruitment is cheaper and quicker to recruit because there is no induction needed.
• External recruitment can avoid inbreeding as larger pool of workers for which to find the best candidate.
Weaknesses of recruitment
• Internal recruitment may face the problem of limit number of potential candidate, so it difficult to find the right candidate to handle the job.
• External recruitment may need more cost to make the advertisement and interview for the applicants, it may increase the expenses of the organization.
• Selection is the process of ascertaining the qualified experience, ability and skill to apply the job.
• There have external and internal factor which will affecting the selection.
• The method of selection such as interviews, tests and other.
Strengths of selection
• The manager can select the candidate in determine the experience and education for the position need so the right person can be select.
• The selection test can help the manager to choose the people which fulfil the qualification towards the job.
• It also can minimize the cost for recruit the wrong person through the selection as the manager will choose the best candidate for the job.
Weaknesses of selection
• The manager may have discrimination of gender or religion for the candidate which will cause wrongly recruitment for the job.
• It also takes many times to identify and select the right candidate for the job and more time to waiting the respond from candidate.
• It also have possible to have the wrong selection as the interview only verbal and there have the chance for candidate to cheat when interview.
• Human resources department aim to ensure the business is fully staffed and able to fulfil the human resources need of an organization.
• The human resources department is responsible in to hiring, training, motivating and maintaining the employees in the organization.
• It also important to recruit and job replacement the right person in the specific job to achieve the organization goal and objective.
• Human resources department have to ensure all the human resources in the organization fully motivation and energetic to performance in their workforce.
• Human resources manager also need to make sure the employees have maximize performance in their workforce by giving incentive, promotion and rewards.
• Human resources department also can give training to employees to increase their productivity, skill and talent on their current job.
• Internal recruitment that the job is given to the employees that already employed in the business.
• The strengths of internal recruitment are saving cost of training as the business already gives the orientation and training towards the employees.
• It also can increase the motivation of the employees through promotion for the employee to the high position.
• The employees also can increase the loyalty with the organization as they have the chance to changing the position in certain period of time.
• The weaknesses of internal recruitment are the employees may not have skill and knowledge in the workforce, it may cause difficult to find the suitable people to replace the job.
• It also may create resentment among the employees and manager as manager will felt uncomfortable for losing the good team members.
• External recruitment is the method of hiring people from the outside of the organization.
• The strengths of external recruitment is it will give the new idea and new knowledge of technology to the organization which will able the organization to compete with their competitor.
• It also creates the opportunity to find the more experience, high qualified and more professional candidate that will help the organization meet diversity requirement.
• The weaknesses of external disadvantages are decreases the employees' morale as the current employees may feel less the chance of promotion in the organization.
• New candidate may have limit understanding about the organization, it will cause them doing the thing conflict with the organization activities and mission.
• Selection is the process to whereby the organization decided to make the job offer to the candidate and acceptance of the candidate.
• The strengths of selection is the management may have more information to know the qualification of the candidate by giving the test such as psychometric test to know the strengths and weaknesses of the candidate
• The weaknesses of selection is the management may wrongly select as there have the bias issue happening in selection process.
• Munchy's is the snack food manufacture which is established in 1991 in Batu Pahat, Johor, Malaysia.
• Munchy's have many branch such as Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia.
• Munchy's have many position such as branch manager, sales executive, human resources manager, secretory, financial executive, supply chain executive and other.
• Recruitment process of Munchy's will through Internet, newspaper and other.
• They will post the job vacancy with the job description and requirement need for the job.
• For example, a candidate apply the marketing people, they may require the candidate to have the good communication skill and negotiation skill.
• Munchy's provide some benefit to attract the candidate such as medical, dental and sport.
• Manchy's also provide staff training and development programmes to their employees to improve their skill and knowledge and maximum their personal and professional growth.
• Munchy's sometime will use internal recruitment by giving the promotion for the employees to the higher position.
• But it is also got weakness when recruit the no qualified candidate as the candidate lie and cheat in the interview process that cause the management felt the candidate is suitable for the job.
• Munchy's will select the candidates towards their performance in interview section and qualification towards the job.
• Sometime they also will give employment test for the candidate to know their skill and knowledge.
• The department manager will give the test about account recording for the candidates who apply the financing department.
• It also got weakness in selection if the manager has negative perception or stereotype about the candidate although the candidates have the right qualification.
• Lastly, Munchy's might important the external recruitment because the employees require more experience and high qualified in the workforce.
• HRM is the development and implementation of system in an organization designed to attract, develop and retain a high-performing workforce.
• The HRM practices consist of planning, attracting, developing and retaining the human resource (employees) of an organization.
Benefits to employers
• Strategy HR Planning
- It is a planning for the future personnel needs of an organization, taking into account both internal activities and factors in the external environment.
- Employers of the company can do a good strategy to access their business to market.
- They use little time and cost to attract their consumers based on the PEST strategy analysis.
- PEST strategy which will influence the business in the aspects political, economic, social and technology.
- So, the company can achieve their business goals easily and earn profit easily.
- Developing employees
- Design to maintain or improve current employee's performance.
- So, employees help the employer increase the productivity of an organization.
- The reputation of company will be good because the not accident happen in the company and it cause the reputation of company become good.
- People like to invest the company.
Benefits to employees
• Job design
- Usually done the prior to recruitment.
- Is a process to describe the work that the employees need to complete its.
- Specifying the recruitments needs to fulfilling the job.
- For example, Munchy's company has provided the training and development programme to their employees.
- So, employees of Munchy's can do their job well after attempt the training and development programme because they know about the skills and technology.
- They have enough knowledge and skills to perform their job and it decrease the accidents happen in company.
- In addition, the employees will become more motivated.
- So, some employers will give rewards to them.
• Training and development are different.
- Training is provided by Human Resource Management to employees that are not enough with the skills and knowledge to perform the job.
- Developing is the activities which the manpower of an organization learns and grows to achieve their business goals.
• Quality training
- Is important in a company.
- Refers to familiarizing employees with the means of preventing, finding and eliminating non-quality items.
- So, productivity performance will become good.
• Soft skills training
- Also important in an organization.
- It refers to personality traits, communication and personal habits that are used to characterize relationship with other people.
- Customer service of an organization must know how to answer the phone and how to be friendly and welcoming to customers.
- So, good customer service will know how to attract customers buy again.
- Give motivation or reward to the employees that are done their job well.
- So, they have motivation and loyalty to do their work.
- It will cause the company's profit increase because company's productivity is high.
• Job design
- For example, job rotation.
- It is a method to motivated employees, increase their performance and increase the productivity. Through the job rotation, employees can gain the skill and knowledge to perform their job.
- A sale person also trained in assessment of customer needs and how to offer the information to make a buying decision.
- If customer is satisfied the product or service, they will make buying decision.
- So, company will earn profit.
• Munchy's has provides their employee training and development to ensure that they improve their performance.
• For example, Munchy's provide their employee to attend the machine learning program to make sure that the employees could functions the machine well in order to avoid accident when working.
• In retaining employees include maintenance, is a process of providing the career counseling or safety& health program services to employees.
• Munchy's had provided their employee with safety & health program such as machine learning program.
• The recruitment of Munchy's is decentralized; each branch of Munchy's must hire its own employees.
Process 1: HR planning
• Job design
- It is the process of describing the work that needs to be done by employees.
- It usually done prior to recruitment.
- For example, Munchy's planning for the future personnel needs and make recruitment.
Process 2: Attracting employees
- Its purpose is to provide management with enough candidates from which they can select qualified employees.
- The recruiter of Munchy's will review the candidate resume or profile, after that the recruiter will contact the candidate that had been chooses to have an interview.
Process 3: Developing employee
- Training is a process design to maintain or improve current employee performance and skill.
- Munchy's have provides their employees such of training, such as machine learning program, health and safety program.
Process 4: Retaining employee
- It is a process of providing the career counseling or safety& health program services to employees.
- Munchy's have provides their employees with certain safety & health program such as machine learning, health program, food technology program.
• There are several issues on which an individual cannot take decisions alone.
• Before implementing any plan, the advantages and disadvantages must be evaluated on an open forum where every employee has the right to express his opinions freely.
• Employee relations generally deal with avoiding and resolving issues concerning individuals which might arise out of or influence the work scenario.
• Maintaining positive employee relations in an organization is a prerequisite for organizational success.
• Strong employee relations are required for high productivity and human satisfaction.
• Healthy employee relations lead to more efficient, motivated and productive employees which further lead to increase in sale level.
• When workers have job satisfaction, overall firm competence and stability increases resulting in positively influencing managerial decisions.
• Employment law regulations, affecting such topics as records retention, labor relations; employee criminal records check and even the mileage reimbursement requirements for employees.
• The Age Discrimination in Employment Act extends the prohibition of discrimination in hiring and firing actions to employees aged 40 and older.
• Due to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), wage and hour establish minimum wage wish is revised annually.
• HR professional should continuously verify the accuracy of the amount paid to employees.
• The federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provide employees job protection during the absence and their health coverage continues as if they had remained at work.
• For example, the serious health condition of the employee, bonding with a new baby or a qualifying exigency related to active military service.
• The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act protect an employee's privacy regarding medical information.
• It means HR must train managers on what information they should, or should not, require regarding an employee's medical situation.
Key aspects of employee relations management.
- Manager must have effective communication with the employees to know the problem of the company and solve the problem quickly.
• Fair workplace environment
- Fair treatment to all of the employees will increase their productivity because they feel treated equally.
- So, the human resource manager should prepare the suitable HR plan to all employees without any bias.
• Understand the employee needs
- Through the survey to know the employees needs quickly.
- Then, human resource manager can base on the employee needs to make decision, such as provide more training because more of employees think they should has training to improve their skills.
Key aspects of employment legislation
• Wages and Remuneration
- The company should make sure the wages that given to the employee in correct amount and no delay because the employee can ask for legislative to help the employees obtain wages that they deserve to get.
• Time of work
- If the employee works overtime, the employer should pay compensation to the employees for the overtime based on employment legislation.
• Health safety and welfare
- Training for any dangerous job in workplace must be provided to protect the employee.
- Health facilities also provide to the employee.
- It is because employment legislation aims to protect employee from unhealthy and not safety workplace environment.
• Employee is importance resource of the company.
• Human resources management (HRM) related with employee relation will focus on communication, flexibility and involvement to improve the workplace environment.
• A strong employee relation will increase the employee productivity.
• To build strong employee relations, the employees are empowered to take responsibility.
• The employees can communicate with the manager about their advice to the company to help company solve the problem.
• The communication must be open when any changes happen in the management to reduce the conflict.
• Management encourage employees share their opinions about any decision of the company.
• So, management can obtain idea about the employee's stand regarding the concerned decision.
• Let employee involved in decision making of the organization will motivate them, and then increase their productivity.
• For example, Munchy's company will has discussion with their employees for their future plan to be easy reach their business goal.
Application of HRM practices
• HRM practices aim to clarify the mission of the company and know the human resources needs of the company.
• Application of HRM practices consists of training, development and compensation to the employees.
• HRM will give information to all the employees about the latest training and development needs.
• Application of HRM practices should fair to everyone to let employees feel treated equally.
• This will make the company choose the proper employee to attend training; finally can increase the employees efficiency to gain more profit.
• HRM practices also use to measure the performance of employees.
• It will affect decision of the company either hire or fire the employees.
• Through analysis of HRM practices, the manager can know about requirement of human resources and as a reference to other department when recruitment.
• For example, Munchy's company takes decision to provide training to the proper employees to increase their efficiency based on employee performance.
• Silvin less to put the work experience but also a good resume.
• Silvin less to put the basic wages in her resume.
• Silvin likes to seek for a challenging career, so she can apply Munchy's company job.
• She can understand and also speak many languages. For example, English, Malay, Mandarin, Japanese and Cantonese.
• She also has many skills in her resume. For example, computer skills, Marketing skills, communication skills.
• She is self-driver.
• Silvin is a workaholic and good for Munchy's company because she will finish her job on time.
• She can be a genius of Munchy's company.
• The company has provides training for their employees.
• For example, Munchy's company has arranges training program to employees to improve their employee's skills and performance.
• Therefore, talent will increase in the company.
• Munchy's company also must arrange training of communication skills to their employees because Munchy's company has overseas market.
• Employees had some good comments to the company.
• Munchy's company has many departments.
• Employee from production department review that Munchy's company has friendly and welcoming environment.
• Staffs and workers are friendly at Munchy's company.
• An employee from quality department review that the works give her a chance to learn some new things.
• From analysis of human resource management for Munchy's company, the aims and functions of Human Resource management are clear.
• Human Resource management aims to retain high-performance workforce and manage employees in an organization.
• Functions of human resource management consist of staffing, rewards, employee development, employee relations and employee maintenance.
• Next, the strength of Munchy's company to recruitment and selection is provides training and development to attract employees.
• But the weakness of recruitment and selection of Munchy's company is the manager may have negative stereotype to the candidate. It may cause the candidate cannot get the job.
• The human resource management of Munchy's company applies HRM practices in their company. Processes of HRM practices consist of HR Planning, attracting employees, developing employees and retaining employees.
• Then, Munchy's company has follows the employment legislation to make decision to retain a good reputation of the company.
• By using HRM practices, the Munchy's company builds the good employee relations to increase the productivity of company.
• It is because the employees have opportunities to give opinions to the company decision-making.
• From reviews of Munchy's employees, most of employees are satisfied to the workplace environment because human resource management provides a good environment and treatment to their employees.
...(download the rest of the essay above)