How is greening implemented in Lush?
Since its establishment Lush has been inventing and designing its own products to reduce usage of packaging, water, energy and also to reduce carbon emission and waste.100% of Lush's products are vegetarian,65% of them are preservative free and 58% of them are free from unnecessary packaging. The products in the retail store are displayed similar to how fruits and vegetables are displayed in a grocery store without extra packaging.
According to lush cofounder Mark Constantine " Starting from scratch allowed us to put the environmental principles in easily. They suited our needs and we could afford nothing else" , "We were consuming less and so spending less. That's the wonderful thing about the environmental approach – it's so business-friendly." (The Ecologist)
1. Green Supply : Lush has been working diligently to develop a supply chain that makes good business sense without compromising any of its beliefs.
a. Longstanding relationships with suppliers: "Lush believes that working directly with growers and producers where ever its possible. The company visits a number of key suppliers throughout the year and spends time with them in the fields or at processing sites. They aim to create transparent, collaborative supply chains."
b. Sourcing of Raw Materials : Lush also puts huge amount of effort to source its raw material. It take great care about what goes into its products and where that material comes from. Lush has labelled this way of buying from its suppliers as creative buying. The company has a creative buying team which visits the places across the world from Ghana to the co-op mountain plantations in Papua, New Guinea to trace the ingredients they get from the suppliers. It has strict policies for its suppliers. It does not buy raw materials from suppliers who indulge in animal testing or use preservatives. While designing the products Lush goes for natural ingredients that are produced in a sustainable way. (Supply chain management )
c. "Transportation: Good planets are hard to come by." : This is one of the company's key green policy.
• Being an international company operating in 51 countries and using fresh raw materials from all over the globe transportation through various means (sea, land and air) add to climate change. To tackle this problem the companhy tries to maximize efficiency, starting at the raw materials level and bring it back to their local factories.
• They make their fresh products locally, with a local workforce to supply local markets. Lush works closely with the transportation providers to source low-impact and ethically responsible fuels for moving their raw materials and finished products around the globe.
• They are working on reducing their air freight and till now they are down to 5% and are committed to keeping it the same. (About our green policy - Lush USA )
d. "Energy: Our inner chi." : Another green policy that the company abides by is Energy. They are continously working to reduce the amount of energy used to produce, transport and sell their products. By employing all possible methods of energy optimization and efficiency retrofits like bio mass boilers and LED Lightings within the manufacturing facilities, distribution centers and stores they are trying best to conserve energy. According to the company reports 100% of the electricity consumed, is replenished into the grid with renewable energy from wind and low-impact hydro, through Bullfrog Power. (About our green policy - Lush USA )
2. Green Packaging : Product inventor and co founder Mo Constantine said: “I began unintentionally making naked products and I've gone down that route ever since. My first invention was the shampoo bar in the late eighties. Since then we've taken the concept much further.” Lush has started the 'NAKED REVOLUTION' i.e it sells its products with little or no packaging at all. Some examples of naked products are , bath bombs, toothy tabs, shampoo bars , massage bars etc.
a. The company's driving factor behind the 'naked revolution' is product invention and also environmental impact of plastic packaging. According to co-founder Mark Constantine “Providing personal service is the best environmental practice. If we can get you connected to the appropriate product for your needs, you get really good value for money, we get a regular customer, the consumption of unneeded product and packaging falls, and money is no longer wasted.” . The need to buy only the product that you want and disposing the plastic packaging later , adds to the growing number of landfills per year. Also according to lush by buying naked products a customer saves money as 16% is spent on its packaging .
b. The company makes sure to use recycled materials when packaging is unavoidable. They make sure that the packaging is reused, recycled or composted at the end of their lives and aim to have 100% of their packaging easily recyclable, compostable or biodegradable.
c. Lush marks it black tub products with stickers of the actual ingredients of the product being sold, a unique trademark stamped on their recyclable trademark polypropylene plastic black pots. The company also offers customers a way to recycle used black pots by bringing empty ones back to the store for a free Fresh Face Mask for every five returned. (About our green policy - Lush USA )
Shampoo bars Shower Jellies
Regular range and Naked range
3. Green Storage : The company focuses on selling fresh and new products to its customers. Lush's products usually have shelf life of 14 months , but the stores don't sell products which are older than 4-5 months. Also most of the company's products are stored at room temperature except their Fresh Face Masks, which require refrigeration due to the absence of preservatives and the main ingredients being fruits and vegetables.
4. Green in Waste Management : " Waste: Less is more." , The company has this under their green policies. They try their best to curb their waste and recycle it so that the least amount of waste is sent to landfills.
a. When they aren't able to eliminate it completely, they look for the simplest forms of packaging to do the job. They use post-consumer or post-industrial recycled materials that are 100% recyclable, compostable and biodegradable whenever possible.
• The pots and bottles are made from BPA-Free, 100% post-consumer recycled (PCR) plastic.
• Store carrier bags are made with 100% post-consumer recycled paper and are compostable.
• Most products for shipment are packed in biodegradable plastic bags, recycled paper and/or biodegradable filler and eco-friendly packing tape.
• Gifts are wrapped in 100% recycled paper and packaged with biodegradable filler.
b. Lush prefers to use raw materials that are produced sustainably and avoids using products which are not. Ex: The company started using earth friendly oils instead of palm oil. They use almond oil and olive oil. The company also tries to use as many natural products as it can in its products. They barely use synthetics. They have a product line which is fully free from synthetics. (About our green policy - Lush USA )
Objectives behind implementing Greening
• We believe in making effective products from fresh organic fruit and vegetables, the finest essential oils and safe synthetics.
• We believe in buying ingredients only from companies that do not commission tests on animals and in testing our products on humans.
• We invent our own products and fragrances. We make them fresh by hand using little or no preservative or packaging, using only vegetarian ingredients and tell you when they were made.
• We believe our products are good value, that we should make a profit and that the customer is always right.
• We believe that all people should enjoy freedom of movement across the world.
We also believe words like “fresh” and “organic” have an honest meaning beyond marketing. (Our Story : Lush Cosmetics)
Challenges Faces by the company
1. Naked Packaging : Trying to create the same experience (or better) for their customers without packaging is challenging, particularly because the most commonly-used cosmetic material is water, and water evaporates. Facial skincare is still proving difficult to develop in package-free versions because it usually has a lot of water in it, so they're trying to find some creative ways around that at the moment.
2. Another challenge that is faced by the company is that it makes a large amount of statements concerning the company's ethics and its approach to sustainability that are not verified by any external party. The company's websites provide a lot of information about the company's efforts to source ethically, its policies on animal testing and other CSR related issues, but the lack of external verification makes it difficult to assess the accuracy of such statements. (Lush Cosmetics Ltd.)
Cost Involved in Implementation
The costs involved in implementation of greening at Lush are comparatively less. Their costs of packaging have reduced due to the launch of naked products. On the other hand introduction of biomass boilers in some of its factories requires a minimum investment of 10,000 - 19,000 pounds. Lush keeps its inventory extremely small and hence its inventory handling cost is very less.
1. About our green policy - Lush USA . (n.d.). Retrieved from lushusa: https://www.lushusa.com/about-green-policy-intro.html
2. Lush Cosmetics Ltd. (n.d.). Retrieved from wordpress.com: https://mitheringsfrommorningside.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/quick-scan-lush-cosmetics-final.pdf
3. Our Story : Lush Cosmetics. (n.d.). Retrieved from Lush Cosmetics: https://www.lush.com/
4. Supply chain management . (n.d.). Retrieved from blogspot.com: http://cmuscm.blogspot.com/2013/01/lushs-way-of-greening-supply-chain.html
5. The Ecologist. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://theecologist.org/2010/nov/17/green-business-lush
...(download the rest of the essay above)