Explain the difference between personnel management and human resource management
Human Resource Management: Human resources is the company department charged with finding screening recruiting and training join applicants as well as administering employee benefits programs. As companies recognize to gain competitive edge human resource plays a key role in helping companies deal with a fast changing environment and the greater demand for quality employees.
Personnel management: personnel management is an administrative function of an organization that exists to provide the personnel needed for organizational activities and to manage the general employee-employer relationship.
Differences between Human Resource Management and Personnel Management:
- Personnel management is an accepted method of managing people in the corporation. Human resource management is a current method of managing people and their strengths in the corporation.
- Personnel management focuses on employee’s management, worker benefits and labor relation. Human resource management focuses on gaining, improvement, motivation and protection of human resources in the corporation.
- Personnel management focuses on better manufacture and satisfy recruits. Human resource management focuses on success, culture, production and recruits involvement.
- Personnel management is concerned with personnel manager. Human resource management is concerned with all level of managers from upper to underneath.
- Personnel management is a regular job. Human resource management is a planned job
To achieve M1 use effective judgement to differentiate between personnel and human resource management
- Under personnel management, workers are given less preparing and advancement openings. Under human resource management, representatives are given all the more preparing and advancement openings.
- In personnel management, choices are made by the top management according to the principles and control of the association. In human resource management, choices are made all things considered subsequent to considering worker’s cooperation, power, decentralization, focused environment and so on.
- Personnel management concentrates on expanded creation and fulfilled representatives. Human resource management concentrates on viability, culture, efficiency and worker’s support.
- Personnel management is worried with personnel chief. Human resource management is worried with all level of chiefs start to finish.
- Personnel management is a normal capacity. Human resource management is a vital capacity
Explain the function of the human resource management in contributing to organizational purposes.
1. Recruitment and selection
Enrollment is the way toward charming, screening, and selecting potential and qualified applicants in view of target criteria for a specific occupation. The objective of this procedure is to pull in the qualified candidates and to urge the unfit candidates to pick themselves out.
Before beginning the procedure of enlistment, the organizations must execute legitimate staffing plans and ought to review the quantity of workers they will require. Gauging of the representatives ought to rely on the yearly spending plan of the association and fleeting and long haul objectives of the association.
Enrollment and choice process is critical to each association since it diminishes the expenses of missteps, for example, connecting with uncouth, unmotivated, and under qualified representatives. Terminating the unfit competitor and contracting the new worker is again a costly procedure.
Numerous associations don’t give a careful introduction to the new representatives. This is the principal venture to help another representative to change himself with the business and with his new occupation. Representative introduction program ought to incorporate the targets and objectives of the association and how the worker can accomplish the long haul and transient objectives of the association.
Giving concentrated introduction to the worker is one of the real elements of human asset administration. The program ought to help the worker to know his allocated obligations and his correct expected set of responsibilities, occupation part, and the relationship of position to different positions in the association. It offers elucidation to the representative to play a dynamic part in the association.
3. Maintaining great working conditions
It is the duty of the human asset administration to give great working conditions to the representative with the goal that they may like the work environment and the workplace. It is the central obligation of the HR division to rouse the workers. The review has been found that representatives don’t add to the objectives of the association as much as they can. This is a result of the absence of inspiration.
Human asset administration ought to think of a framework to give money related and non-monetary advantages to the representative from the different offices. Representative welfare is another idea which ought to be overseen by HR group. Worker welfare advances work fulfillment.
4. Overseeing Employee relations
Workers are the mainstays of any association. Representative relationship is an extremely expansive idea and it is one of the critical elements of human asset administration. It likewise encourages great representative relations. They can impact practices and work yields.
Administration ought to Organize exercises which will know a worker at the individual and expert level. Very much arranged worker relations will advance a sound and adjusted connection between the representative and the business. It is the key for the association to be fruitful.
5. Training and development
Preparing and advancement are the fundamental elements of human asset administration. It is the endeavor to enhance the present or future execution of a worker by expanding the capacity of a representative through teaching and expanding one’s abilities or learning in the specific subject.
Evaluate the role and responsibilities of line managers in human resource management.
LINE MANAGER: A line manager has several management responsibilities including direct management of employee’s administrative management and functional management ss.some line managers work directly with employees but do not have other responsibilities such as administrative and functional management.
Role and responsibilities of line manager
Line managers are those managers to whom individuals or teams directly report and who have responsibility to a higher level of management for those individuals or teams.
As a manager of people you will undoubtedly be required to adopt a number of roles as the tasks, situations and expectations you face change.
Line managers have responsibility for directly managing individual employees or teams. In turn, they report to a higher level of management on the performance and well-being of the employees or teams they manage. Allocating work and rotas. monitoring work and checking quality.
D: Analyze the impact of the legal and regulatory framework on human resource management
HR Management: Laws and Regulations
Laws and regulations at the federal, state, and local levels regulate how companies conduct staffing. Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act banned most discriminatory hiring practices.
Three sensitive areas of legal concern that managers must comply with are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and sexual harassment, described in the following sections. These areas, as well as other laws, impact all human resource practices.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Individuals covered under Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws are protected from illegal discrimination, which occurs when people who share a certain characteristic, such as race, age, or gender, are discriminated against because of that characteristic. People who have the designated characteristics are called the protected class. Federal laws have identified the following characteristics for protection:
- Race, ethnic origin, color (for example, African American, Hispanic, Native American, Asian)
- Gender (women, including those who are pregnant)
- Age (individuals over 40)
- Individuals with disabilities (physical and mental)
- Military experience (Vietnam’era veterans)
- Religion (special beliefs and practices)
The main purpose of the EEO laws is to ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity of getting a job or being promoted at work.
- Civil Rights Act of 1964. Prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex.
- Civil Rights Act of 1991. Reaffirms and tightens prohibition of discrimination. Permits individuals to sue for punitive damages in cases of intentional discrimination and shifts the burden of proof to the employer.
- Equal Pay Act of 1963. Prohibits pay differences based on sex for equal work.
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978. Prohibits discrimination or dismissal of women because of pregnancy alone, and protects job security during maternity leaves.
Analyze the reasons for human resource planning in these two organizations.
Human resource planning is a procedure that uses the accessible information to describe skill and ability requirements needed to encounter future firm needs. Human resource planning created as manpower planning, focusing on the process of balancing talent supply and demand in an organization (Walker, 1969). Human resource development is the method that explains the present and future human resource needs for an organization to achieve its goals. Development in Human resource is vital aspect because it saves the future of the organization. They strategically idea for the recruitment process of the employees and their training so that corporation goals are met with the defined time period. Human resource forecasting is vital to explain the projected amount, of assists needed to the organization. So, the formation of human resource turns into strategically vital for any organization like Telenor and Adidas.
Outline the stages involved in planning human resource requirements at an organization like the Telenor Group.
Human resource forecasting is the vital act in the organization since it lines the human resource wants within the organization and confirms the availability of the resource at a time. Analyzing organizational objectives: The points to be accomplished in upcoming in numerous areas such as manufacture, finance, sells give the knowledge about the effort to be done in the corporation. Inventory of present human resource: From the informed human resource information storage system, the present number of workers their size, implementation, and ability can be examined to fill the varies occupation needs. Forecasting Demand and supply of human resource: The human resources vital at diverse levels allowing to their occupation profile are to be projected. The accessible external and internal and reserve to fill those wants are also deliberated. There should be suitable corresponding of job type and job requirement of one specific work. Estimating Manpower gaps: Judgment of human resource requirement and human resource source will deliver with the extra or shortage of human resource. Deficit act for the number of workers whereas the surplus represents termination. Formulating the human resource Action plan: The human resource strategy varies on whether there is deficit or surplus in the corporation. Similarly, the idea may be confirmed either for new recruitment, training or voluntary retirement systems and reorganization in the case of surplus. Monitoring, control, and feedback: it mostly includes execution of the human resource action plan. Human resource is assigned corresponding to the wants and inventories are rationalized over a time. The plan is monitored harshly to identify the shortages and remove it.
Compare the recruitment and selection process in two organizations?
‘Recruitment is the process of searching for prospective employees and stimulating and encouraging them to apply for jobs in and organization’ (Edwin Flippo).
There are two kinds of recruitment: Internal recruitment and External recruitment ‘Selection is the process of choosing from among the candidates, from the organization or from the outside, the most suitable person for the current position or for the future position.’ (C O. Donnell). Telenor Pakistan is using both internal and external methods of recruitment while the and Adidas is using E-recruitment methods: E-recruitment: Telenor organization publish their post applications on their website so that by this way workers can save their strength and time. Job posting: When any chance of a job is created HR, department publishes it in the organization by which employees appeal for their own. Advertisement: Teleport Corporation is uses advertisement for the determinations of recruitment. They use newspapers for this purpose but in very minimum occasions-recruitment: Adidas organization publish their post applications on their website so that by this way employees set exact values to find a correct place in which they are concerned they can save their powers and time. Selection method in Telenor and Adidas is, An early assessment of the candidates is set by both the corporation in order to select the candidates on the basis of compatibility of the acquired skills for applied place. CV is the main informer to be preserved for screening method as it owns all vital info linked to the candidate. D1 ) Comparison of recruitment process must demonstrate critical reflection?
My point of view is that, Telenor is using both internal and external recruitment method in which they are utilizing more money and these methods are old the main fault in Telenor is that most of their roles they are consuming for recruitment are out of a source. Adidas is using E-recruitment as a result they are selecting the best suitable candidates and as they are using e-recruitment method they are saving coast and time. By E-recruitment CV can be collected from applicants very easily. So, I can conclude by saying that both organization method of recruitment is best.
Evaluate the effectiveness of the recruitment and selection techniques in the two organizations.
Each group has unique ideas for recruitment that are created on the organizational structure of the manufacturer. The predominant goal of determination and recruitment is to enlist vigorous and exceptional employees for the organization. Both of the organization try their nice to enlist applicants. Both of the companies are determined to deliver the finest facility to their customers. Determination and Recruitment are various in class and have their own consequences with incorporation. Each establishments follow E-recruitment which is highly helpful and CV will also be amassed from applicants very effectively, time saving and rate saving procedure. But Telenor is making use of interior and outside recruitment methods as well, for that reason, it might prefer first-class candidates. At their preliminary comparison, they quick people who are definitely eligible. Both businesses follow probably the most useful methods of determination and recruiting approach. Each of the companies have ways like an evaluation of position& recruitments, applicant creating, pre-screen (mobile and web), trying out and evaluation, reference assess, behavioral headquartered interview and so on
Suppose you are the HR managers of adidas suggest a reward system based on motivational theory for the company and present it to your team along with the justification of using such a system.
To achieve M2 the relevant theories and techniques should be applied for the identification of reward systems. To achieve D3 you must justify your proposed reward system.
Motivation is the inner drive that directs a person’s behavior toward goals. Motivation can be defined as a process which energizes, directs and sustains human behavior.
A “rewards system” is a planned and structured approach to reward one or more persons who act in a desirable way. Company marketing departments often facilitate customer rewards systems or programs to motivate people to buy more or to purchase certain things.
1. Intrinsic versus extrinsic rewards: The satisfactions one gets from the job itself are its intrinsic rewards. These satisfactions are self initiated rewards, such as having pride in one’s work, having a feeling of accomplishment, or being part of a team. The techniques of flex time, job enrichment, shorter work weeks, and job rotation, can offer intrinsic rewards by providing interesting and challenging jobs and allowing the employee greater freedom.
2. Financial versus Non financial rewards: Rewards may or may not enhance the employee’s financial well being. If they do they can do this directly through wages, bonuses, profit sharing, and the like, or indirectly through supportive benefits such as pension plans, paid vacations, paid sick leaves and purchase discounts.
Non financial rewards are potentially at the disposal of the organization. They do not increase the employee’s financial position, instead of making the employees life better off the job, non financial rewards emphasize making life on the job more attractive
3. Performance based versus membership based rewards: The rewards that the organization allocates can be said to be based on either performance criteria for membership criteria. While the managers in most organizations will vigorously argue that their reward system pays off for performance, you should recognize that this is almost invariably not the case. Few organizations actually rewards employees based on performance. However, without question, the dominant basis for reward allocations in organization is membership.
Performance based rewards are exemplified by the use of commission, piecework pay plans, incentive systems, group bonuses, or other forms of merit pay plans.
Motivational theory is tasked with discovering what drives individuals to work towards a goal or outcome. Businesses are interested in motivational theory because motivated individuals are more productive, leading to more economic use of resources.
Most motivational theories differentiate between intrinsic and extrinsic factors: the former are concerned with an individual’s interest, enjoyment and willingness to partake in an activity. People with higher self-confidence and beliefs that their own abilities will lead to success are more likely to have high levels of intrinsic motivation. Extrinsic motivations focus on the outcome of the activity i.e. individuals are driven by the outcome rather than the activity itself.
Frequently-cited motivational theories include the escape-seeking dichotomy model, drive-reduction theory, cognitive dissonance theory, and motivations driven by Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.
Evaluate the process of job evaluation and other factors determining pay for adidas.
Define Job Evalution:
Job evaluation is the process of analyzing and assessing various jobs systematically to ascertain their relative worth in an organization
Process of job evalution:
1. Job Analysis. The first step is a study of the jobs in the organization. Through job analysis, information on job content is obtained, together with an appreciation of worker requirements for successful performance of the job. This information is recorded in the precise, consistent language of a job description. This was the topic of chapter 10.
2. Compensable Factors. The next step is deciding what the organization “is paying for” — that is, what factor or factors place one job at a higher level in the job hierarchy than another. These compensable factors are the yardsticks used to determine the relative position of jobs. In a sense, choosing compensable factors is the heart of job evaluation. Not only do these factors place jobs in the organization’s job hierarchy, but they also serve to inform job incumbents which contributions are rewarded.
3. Developing the Method. The third step in job evaluation is to select a method of appraising the organization’s jobs according to the factor(s) chosen. The method should permit consistent placement of the organization’s jobs containing more of the factors higher in the job hierarchy, than those jobs lower in the hierarchy.
4. Job Structure. The fourth step is comparing jobs to develop a job structure. This involves choosing and assigning decision makers, reaching and recording decisions, and setting up the job hierarchy.
5. Wage Structure. The final step is pricing the job structure to arrive at a wage structure.
Factors determining pay: Pay is an important factor that plays an important role in every employee and employer’s life. It is a motivating factor as well as it satisfy the needs of workers to achieve in life. The following factors are important to keep in notice while determining pay
1. Workers experience
2. Education qualification
3. Employees performance
4. Workers age
5. Size of the organization
6. Profitability of the organization
Assess the effectiveness of reward systems in different contexts at adidas.
Examine the methods organizations like the above use to monitor employee performance. To achieve M3, you must present your work in appropriate formats and use business terminology in your work.
As HR manager identify the reasons for cessation of employment with the organization.
A Voluntarily termination by the employee himself by resigning from the company.this can be done by the employee due to his personal reasons like finding a better suited job, getting higher paying job, getting better position in another company, family issues or the health issues etc. the other reasons that can force an employee to resign can be the conflict in the personal and organizational goals.
B The employee is taking voluntary retirement or has reached the retirement age.most of the government organizations have defined retirement age while private organization can also define a retirement age for its employees.
C The company has asked the employee to leave the company due to various reasons.these reasons can include the non performance non adherence to the rules and regulations unfavourable financial position of the company unaccepted behaviour of the employee and more absenteeism etc.
Describe the employment exit procedure use by the two organization.
There is a provision of notice period by the company which needed to be served by its employees before terminating the services with the organization.this notice period can be given by the company or by the employees according to the type of resignation given or taken from the employee.this notice periods is basically followed by the intimation of leaving the company either by the employee or by the company. This procedure is followed by the most of the organization and is widely acceptable procedure.
There can be some cases where employee cant work anymore with the company due to varios reasons in wich cases the negotiation is done which involve the payment of one month salary either by the company or by the employee whoever is not serving notice period.
Employee may be asked to leave the organization immediately in case of violation of any regulatory and legal framework without any compensation.
The companies also have provision of the bond period and in such provisions employee is not allowed to leave the organization before serving the bond period and in case of violation a fixed amount is paid by the employee.
Consider the impact of the legal and regulatory framework on employment cessation arrangements.
Basically all legal and regulatory frameworks defined for human resource are mostly related to the cessation of the employees.notice period is being laid down by these frameworks only.it lays down the rules that should be followed for the notice period and the actions that should be taken in case of violationof such rules.the reasons which can force an organization to ask its employees to leave the company are also defined by these frameworks. (Armstrong 2003)
Legal and regulatory frameworks work as governing framework for both the company and the employees as they feel secure from each other while following these frameworks. These frameworks provide job security and safety to the employees by defining various rules related to the work environment of the company the facilities to be provided to the employees the termination of employment etc.
To achieve D2 you will have to manage all activities associated with this assignment and completed it within the deadline.
Edwin B. Flippo, Personal Management (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1984)
...(download the rest of the essay above)